Tuesday 2 November 2010

Root Vegetables and Welsh Virgins

Good evening folks,

Day two is now over and my word count is standing at a rather tall, blonde and beautiful 4,059. I mainly feel retarded that I have taken this long to commit to writing something. I enjoy it so much, as I rather peversely used to enjoy writing essays and doing homework. I'm reminded of my favourite school projects where I'd do little drawings to annotate each page as well - so there were more than words. I remember my King Arthur project where I speculated where he was TRULY buried, being under ten at the time I'm sure I would have known the right answer. I also collated a book of big cats. Lots of fascinating facts about each cat and a remedial drawing as only someone who still can't draw stick figures in her thirties can achieve.

As for my writing today, not much has changed. I get more definite and more clear about what I'm saying as it appears on the page. I giggle when something funny happens and steam up when I remember some fantasy I created during the most innocent of scenarios. I have recently been introduced to a phenomenal illustrator, so there may even be pictures too! I'll post some images once they're ready.

As for today, I spent the morning buying roots vegetables with my mother (it's very cold and one must snort stew to stay alive) and exploring Shrewsbury Abbey, which is only a 5 minute walk from my house. It was built in 1083 by The Earl of Mongomery, one of William the Conqueror's best buddies. Ah, 1066. Of course Henry the Eighth smashed it up in the 1500s, but the original columns and arches remain? I love being so close to such history. Creations that live on. St Winifred's relics were stored here after she was beheaded by the bloke that fancied her when she wouldn't go out with him. Her head rolled down the hill and a holy spring began to bubble up. Her head was picked up by a priest, and popped back onto the body. She then did a few miracles here and there. A saint is born. She was Welsh, but then Shrewsbury is on the borders and the Abbey was the biggest one for miles back in the day so it seems fitting her bones found a home where she could be worshipped. She's still quite popular today. She got a new stained glass window back in 1992! Just say no, ladies.

Again, thank you so much for your emails of awesome, they are sooo inspirational. Today I would like to thank Su for the enLIGHTenment, Jason for the loomage, Gerald for the hyperbole, Laurence for the cheerleading, USA Kat for the bloggage and Christina for the continuum.

Sweet dreams,

A

x

No comments:

Post a Comment